Monday, April 26, 2010

A beginning.

I'm happy with my abilities as a programmer. I'm not arrogant to think of myself as one of the best programmers to grace this earth, but I think all things told, that I'm pretty good. I've been doing it as a hobby since I was young, and now I do it at work.
But that can't be enough. Why settle at that when there is far more to do? There's certainly no harm in trying to be as good as possible

So while this quest doesn't exactly begin here, here I shall begin my chronicle thereof. I'll be keeping track of my personal objectives, and posting musings.

This blog is primarily something I'm starting for myself, but should someone else be doing something similar, I'd love to hear their experiences and exchange stories. Perhaps the objectives I set for myself may give others ideas. Perhaps others have good ideas for objectives. Perhaps 5 years from now it will have grown into something entirely different.

A couple of rules that I intend to play by:
1) No work stuff. It's (mostly) proprietary... unfortunately.
2) No personal stuff. This is about programming.
3) No holy wars. Because really, most sides have some valid points.

Finally, the inspiration to start this blog came from http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html . I've learnt C, understand pointers and recursion. But there is so much I haven't learned. There are hundreds of good volumes out there, and there is a lot I hope to learn while writing this blog.

No comments: