Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Work, sicp, and management

Sometimes priorities have to kick in.

The reality of most workplaces is that management can be frustrating. So I'm putting sicp to the side for a week while I read up on management... In Japanese, courtesy of P.F.Druckers "Management"

Why in Japanese? One reason is that it meant I could pick it up straight away at the bookstore.
But more than that, by learning these concepts in Japanese, I hope to be able to also communicate them to coworkers and... managers.

This being said, I have no intent to stop at Drucker. I already have a preconceived notion against one of his principles, that of "management by objectives". While on paper it is a good and motivational idea, my experience of it as a software engineer is receiving objectives I have little to no ability to control(such as sales figures) or that are plainly delusional(timelines set by people with little experience of developing complex systems).

Should time be on my side, I hope to be able to put together notes of my thoughts in this blog for later perusing. After that I hope to work through Deming's Out of the crisis" which should include his 14 points.

Hopefully in a couple more weeks things at work can settle down and I can focus more on what I want to be doing rather than what I need to do to be able to do what I want to do in the future.

No comments: